Josie is a cardiac nurse, loves the gym, and is a total sweetheart! I loved getting to know you, girl… you are an incredible person!
She teaches CPR classes, so let me know if you are interested in one (EVERYONE NEEDS THIS!) and I will get you connected!!
Josie has a pretty intense story… a normal day at the gym turned into something very serious in an instant. She suffered from a cardiac arrest while working out- her boyfriend performed CPR on her until medics arrived and took her to the hospital. Read her story below:
- Before personally going through something related to heart health, did you know much about it?
Yes! I was working in the ER and teaching CPR classes at the time.
- Have you ever lost anyone due to a heart related health issue?
No. I’ve been lucky in this way! There is no heart history in my family.
- If you answered yes to the previous question and you’re comfortable answering- what happened? And to whom?
No close family members but a few friends have passed away from heart attacks!
- Why do you want to be a part of this project?
Well honestly, it’s a scary ordeal and leaves it’s victims changed. I feel like my gift is to help others deal with these type of events and know that you can live a life and be a survivor! Only survivors can understand the emotions one feel when they almost die or did die.
- How have you been affected by Heart Health?
No. My heart is actually very healthy! My cardiac arrest event was a medical mystery because they couldn’t find anything wrong with my heart yet I coded three different times!
- What do you want people to know?
Know CPR and get comfortable with signs and symptoms of a heart attack or cardiac arrest! No one is too young or too old to have an event so educate yourself and your families!
- How has this all changed your life?
It’s changed my life for the better but it rocked my boat and taught me some valuable, unprecedented lessons and values about life! I work on the cardiac unit and I believe all these things happened for a reason, so I could help others!
- What’s the most important thing in the world to you?
- If this was your last week on earth, how would you live it?
I would travel with my family and enjoy the last days together with NO phones or social media!! Just my family!
- What are you passionate about?
Living life to the absolute end, staying active, and critical care nursing!!
- What do you love about yourself?
My dedication and perseverance
- What is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?
Shown me kindness and love for the simple reason of generosity
- Anything else you want to add?
Life is short and we all get busy, but don’t forget to slow down and enjoy the things that matter most because one day it could go away in an instant and you can never go back so be kind, live, laugh, and love endlessly even if you get sad or hurt except that emotion and grow into something amazing!!
Thank you for sharing your story, Josie! You’re incredibly brave and beautiful and I appreciate your involvement in this project so much!!