Senior Pictures are a blast… but they can also be stressful.
Where do you go? What do you wear? What do you bring? How should you do your hair and makeup? So many things to think about and prep for!
I’m here to help…
Here’s 12 tips to absolutely kill it at your senior photo shoot!
- HAVE FUN. Seems obvious, but every time you start overthinking things or feel stressed, just remember to soak it all up and have fun. This is your last bit of high school… enjoy it. Time flies and before you know it you have to start adulting and things get a lot harder!
- Bring at least 4-6 outfits. Plan them wisely. Usually I tell my girls to bring 2-3 “comfy outfits” (Jeans and a top, romper, sweater, etc), 2 Dresses (if you wear dresses) & 1-2 sports outfits (if you’re involved in sports). Have a fun shopping day with your mom or your girls and pick some cute stuff up! Then save it until your senior pictures so they feel extra special!
- Bring your best friend. Whether that’s your mom, your actual best friend, or your whole entourage… it’s always nice to have some support there and someone who will brush your hair, fix your necklace, tell you how amazing you look, and help you get your shoes on!
- Choose a Location that reflects your personality. Do you love snowboarding? Go to a mountain! Love hiking? Choose nature and trees! Love city life and the urban vibe? Head downtown! Obsessed with water? Go to a lake or the river! There are endless options and I’ll walk through it with you way before your shoot so we get the perfect spot for some amazing pictures.
- Go easy on the hair and makeup. Luckily, we have this covered for you as hair and makeup is included in every shoot. This makes it so much easier for you and we use the BEST hair and makeup artists to make sure you still look like you and love your pictures even more!
- Don’t do anything too drastic right before your shoot… no last minute crazy hair cuts or colors & be careful of spray tans! Sometimes they can photograph really funky and you don’t want to look like an oopma loompa for your shoot.
- Plan ahead. All these tips are better when you give yourself some time to plan it out. So think of all of this weeks (even months) before your shoot so you come feeling prepared and ready! Creating a pinterest board can be fun too… make sure and share it with me so I know the vibe you’re going for!
- Just be you. This is really the most important one. Just be YOU. You are different than anyone, you are perfectly unique and that should show in your pictures.
- Practice your smile and serious face in the mirror before your shoot. Sounds silly, but I promise it helps. Perfecting the serious look or “smies” can be challenging, so go practice so you’re ready to go when the day comes!
- Pick a photographer you love and want to hang out with. Hopefully, if you’re reading this… you’ve already chosen your photographer, and her name is Tracy… but if not… it’s ok! So many different photographers offer such different awesome experiences and you want to make sure you guys vibe well together because you will be spending a lot of time with each other and you want to make sure they capture you the best way possible! If you want suggestions on other amazing senior photographers, I’m happy to share my favorites with you!
- The ground is funny and the sky is not. This is how I remind my girls to laugh… always laugh looking towards the ground or off to the side. Looking straight up at the sky to laugh might come more natural, but nobody wants their neck to be the main focus of the photograph, so remember… Ground = funny, Sky = not funny. 😉
- Props. To bring or not… I say YES. Think outside the box. Bring whatever makes you, you! Whether it’s sports memorabilia, an instrument, painting supplies, a pet, books, hats, skateboards, anything you want! Might as well bring it and we’ll see how we can incorporate it into your shoot!!
Hope that helps ease your mind! You’re going to kill it and I’m so excited for you!!
To the best senior pics EVER!