Meet Julie. I’m guessing 90% of you already have. The woman seems to know everyone in this town… or maybe it’s everyone that knows who she is?! Anyways, when her name comes up in conversation (it often does… the woman is always doing something awesome) people have the greatest things to say about her. Like… endless good things. This woman has it all! She is beautiful, successful, has an amazing family, and does so much good for this community.
I’m so glad her daughter in law (Melissa with Melissa Lynn Photography– one of my favorite girls in this world) introduced us!
Thank you Julie for being such a blessing to everyone you meet, for changing the world, and for being such a light!
How gorgeous is this image of her?!
- Before personally going through something related to heart health, did you know much about it?
My experience happened when I was very young, so I didn’t really understand. But it certainly created a lifetime of awareness.
- Have you ever lost anyone due to a heart related health issue?
- If you answered yes to the previous question and you’re comfortable answering- what happened? And to whom?
My maternal grandma, Martha Smith, died when I was 12 years old. She was just short of her 69th birthday, had been in excellent health, walked every day, and had been a substitute teacher in my 6th grade classroom just months before she died of congestive heart failure.
- Why do you want to be a part of this project?
She was a really important part of our lives, and it saddens me that my mom lost her mom at such a young age (she was 32 with three young kids and really needed her mom!). My kids are so lucky to have their grandmas in their lives, and my siblings and I didn’t get to have that experience. Awareness and prevention are just so important.
- How have you been affected by Heart Health?
I am certainly aware of the hereditary aspects of heart disease, so it’s always part of my health care conversations.
- What do you want people to know?
That awareness is key. Working with your doctor is essential. And it can be prevented!
- How has this all changed your life?
My brother, sister and i didn’t get to grow up with my grandma in our lives. My mom didn’t get to have her mom take part in raising and loving her babies. When I see the crucial role my mom has played as a grandma, I realize what we all missed. That’s pretty impactful.
- What’s the most important thing in the world to you?
- If this was your last week on earth, how would you live it?
I would want to be surrounded by my family. It wouldn’t really matter where we are!
- What are you passionate about?
Obviously my crazy family. But also this wonderful community and doing whatever I can to make it even better!
- What do you love about yourself?
I’m brave enough to make things happen. 🙂
- What is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?
My husband works incredibly hard and selflessly finds ways to make my life better.
Thank you Julie SO MUCH for your story. It proves once again how important it is to be educated, know your family history, and make good healthy choices.
You are so beautiful and brave, and I just LOVE YOU!