This is Kay. She is such a sweetie and we had a great time taking pictures of her beautiful smile in the studio! Her husband, Pete came along too and sat there so patiently just watching her with a big, loving smile. We shared stories, laughed, and I loved getting to know them.
Here is her story:
- Have you ever lost anyone due to a heart related health issue?
- If you answered yes to the previous question and you’re comfortable answering- what happened? And to whom?
Heart attacks and bi passes- both grandfather’s, dad, brother and nephew.
- Why do you want to be a part of this project?
With all my “knowledge” as a female, I had no idea things would be different for me…
- How have you been affected by Heart Health?
Heart failure and 5 stents.Really looking back, I was kind of cocky thinking I had dodged the family bullet. When time came to do the test, hubby and I went to the room with a doctor I thought might have been just out of college. 30 seconds into the test I fell off the tread mill and had heart failure. I remember her saying, “oh… this will not do.” When I came to, my poor husband face was ashen. The next day I received 3 stents on the right side of my heart which was 95% blocked and a week later 2 on the left which was 80% blocked.I then realized and learned through rehab that we women are completely different. All the heart disease in my family were men up until this point. So the symptoms I was looking for didn’t apply to me… and I didn’t know that post menopausal woman were at higher risk.I have learned a great deal about food, activity, and respect for your body and life.
- What do you want people to know?
Women, especially postmenopausal women, need to be aware of symptoms and what to do.
- How has this all changed your life?
I have regular check ups, eat healthier, and I’m more active.
- What’s the most important thing in the world to you?
- If this was your last week on earth, how would you live it?
I’d go sky diving, rocky mountain climbing…and get a big credit card and charge a family trip to somewhere.
- What are you passionate about?
My job, family and relay for life.
- What do you love about yourself?
I love that I make people laugh and feel good.
- What is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?
Hold my hand and let me cry.
Thank you Kay so very much for sharing your story and being so amazing to chat with! You have the kindest heart and the sweetest personality and I am so glad you got your heart fixed up so the world could have more of you!