Courtney is an incredible woman with an amazing story. I am so grateful she was brave enough to share this with the world.
Look at this woman… how beautiful is she?!
Here is her story:
- Why do you want to be a part of this project?
Help educate and bring awareness
- How have you been affected by Heart Health?
I have a hard time with this question as I like to think we didn’t let this affect our life but learned how to fight and live with it. Changes such as diet and exercise play a huge part as well as regular Dr check ups. I learned to listen to my body and preventive care is never too early.
- At the age of 15 my day started like any other day. Little did I know, everything was about to change. I was getting ready for school and the last thing I remember is waking up on the floor and 35 minutes had gone by. My vision was black and I had started throwing up blood. After hours of tests with no definitive answer the Dr’s sent me home and said I had the flu. Thank goodness my parents were so adiment they got a 2nd opinion from the Mayo clinic. After months we had finally got an answer and I was diagnosed the day after Christmas with Long QT (A disorder where your heart skips for too long and can make it stop). After months of battling negative side effects from meds I decided to have a pace maker and defibrillator implanted. Most people don’t know they have long QT until it’s too late. Thankful I caught this when I did and hopefully my story can help bring awareness for others.
- What do you want people to know?
Having a disease or disorder doesn’t define you. Be proactive and educate yourself on what you can do today.
- How has this all changed your life?
It’s shown me that heart disease doesn’t discriminate. It could happen to anyone.
- What’s the most important thing in the world to you?
The health and well being of my kiddos and family.
- If this was your last week on earth, how would you live it?
Rent a cabin on a lake and do nothing except enjoy the company of those I love.
- What are you passionate about?
Giving back. Whether it’s planning a surprise birthday or helping with a community event, there is no better feeling than making someone smile!
- What do you love about yourself?
Always trying to see the best in people even in the darkest of times.
- What is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?
I feel blessed to say I can’t name one event. After my dad passed I was at my worst and stopped taking care of myself. My best friend (Laura) realized I was drowning and made sure to check on me everyday, went as far to do my hair and makeup and push me out of bed. Life throws crap at all of us but it’s the people who love you who help you get through it, even when you try to push them away!
What an incredible story- she is a total miracle and I am so happy I have gotten the honor of knowing her better.
Way to shine your light and bring awareness to something so important by sharing your story, Courtney!!